Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189)
Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)
The Skilled Independent Visa is a point based program through which the skilled workers can permanently live in Australia and work there. The family members of the skilled worker are also included in the application. It is a permanent visa and it allows the visa holders to permanently stay in Australia with full work rights.
This visa has replaced both the offshore subclass 175 visa as well as the on shore skilled independent subclass 885 visa.
For applying under a valid application, the candidate is required to submit a skill select to prove his expression of interest for working in the province.
These applications are allowed by invitations only. For a candidate to be invited, He must fulfill the following requirements:
- He should firstly submit an expression of interest.
- He should possess the relevant occupation from the skilled occupation list.
- Should have the required skills assessment for the job
- The age of the candidate should be between 18 to 50 years of age during issuing of invitation
- The candidate must meet the English language requirements.
- Finally, he should be able to score more than 60 points in the points test to qualify.
Once invited for applying for the visa, the candidate has 60 days for making an online application. The process for application shall be explained in the invitation letter. The application made should show the candidate’s expression of interest along with the other proof.
The family members who the selected candidates can take along include the following:
- You and your partner’s dependent child
- You and your partner’s dependent relative
The processing arrangements are done according to the priority levels. The selection of immigrants is based on the applications rather than the time when they are submitted.
The following benefits can be enjoyed by the candidate and the family members from this visa:
- It is a permanent visa and hence allows them to live and work permanently in Australia.
- It allows pursuing studies in Australia.
- It allows enrolling in medical care. They can use the schemes generated in Australia for health-related care and expenses.
- Allows access to social security payments.
- Allows them to apply for Australian citizenship which is subject to the residency criteria.
- The visa also allows the candidate to sponsor family members for permanent residence.