Canada Permanent Residency Visa (PR Visa of Canada)
Canada is a nation that allows professionals from worldwide to migrate and settle in any of its provinces as permanent residents. Just like the Canadian citizens, permanent residents also get specific benefits and can enjoy various rights. For doing so, they need to apply for a permanent residence visa from their home country.
What is a Canadian Permanent Residence Visa?
The Canadian Permanent Residence Visa is a visa that represents you as a permanent resident of a foreign country (you applied to) like Canada, Australia, Hong Kong, US, etc. You will receive this visa after you go through a standard procedure of checking eligibility and applying for it online. By getting this visa, you as a skilled professional and your family members are given the privilege to settle permanently and represent yourselves as Canadian permanent residents.
Though there are different types and categories of PR visa programs, all types of PR visas demand a standard degree and minimum 2 years of work experience to qualify and apply.
The Canadian Permanent Residence is valid for a period of 5 years and comes with unlimited extensions. On this visa, all the eligible members of your family can enjoy a Canadian PR status, live, work and travel anywhere in Canada. You are also given a right to apply for Canadian citizenship immediately after you complete a stay of 3 years in Canada.
What are the benefits of having a PR in Canada?
- Right to live anywhere: You will be allowed to reside and travel to any province or area of Canada without any restriction.
- Settle with family: Without any additional need of a family visa, you will be allowed to invite your family to stay with you in Canada, on the same visa.
- Sponsor eligible relatives: After you settle in Canada on PR visa, you will be allowed to sponsor blood related relatives for Canadian permanent residency status.
- Freedom to work in any company: You, as a permanent resident visa holder are allowed to work for any company you wish you. In fact, you are also allowed to switch between companies if you wish to.
- Work rights to spouse: Your accompanying spouse also gets the similar full-time work rights as you. He/she is also entitled to work for any company or switch between companies if they wish too.
- Subsidized education for kids: Your kids will be allowed to claim a free education in reputed public schools of Canada.
- Free Medical Coverage for entire family: As permanent residents of Canada, you will be given an lifetime coverage of medical and healthcare by government.
- Social security services: Several social security services like workers’ pension, unemployment insurance, free course for job search training, subsidized lodging for low income group etc. are provided.
- Protection under Canadian Law: Alike citizens, you and your family will receive protection under Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom.
What is the eligibility criteria for Canada PR visa?
To determine your eligibility for this visa, you need to look into several factors.
- Your age must be below 45 years
- You must hold a degree or higher education credential from a standard University
- Your must have an experience of at least 2 years in an occupation that has a high demand in Canada
- You must be able to prove your proficiency in English language through the IELTS (English Language Test)
- You must be able to score required points in the points based immigration assessment
- You must be of a sound health and must not possess any criminal history
- You must be able to fund your visa process and your stay in Canada without any dependency on the Canadian government
How many points are required for Canada PR?
You are required to score 67 out of 100 points in order to qualify for the application after determining the above mentioned basic eligibility factors. These points are allotted to you based on factors like your age, education, work experience, English language skills, etc. If you have a spouse who is accompanying you and holds the similar eligibility factors, his/her points can also be included for calculation.
Canada has already structured a standard Canada immigration points calculator for determining the eligibility of skilled professionals. Hence, to thoroughly understand the genuine eligibility of yours, you need to calculate points on this calculator and score relevant points for each factor. Cumulatively, all factor points must result to 67 points.
Canada 67 Points Calculator
How my points are calculated for Canada PR visa?
Your points for Canada immigration are calculated under 2-systems:
- The Points Based system
- The Comprehensive Ranking Score System
The Points Based System
Under this system you need to score 67 points out of a total of 100. These points are allotted to you for the below factors, accordingly:
- Age: For this factor, you can score up to 12 points. As Canada is more keen to invite youth through immigration, the ideal age to apply for these points is between 18-35 years. With the increase in the number of years, the points keep decreasing.
- Education: While a standard degree is the prime requirement to be eligible for a PR in Canada, higher degrees are helpful in obtaining more points. Depending on this, a maximum 25 points can be claimed for education factor.
- Work Experience: For the best of work experience, you can score up to 15 points. However, this experience must be in an in-demand profession or in an occupation listed on Canada’s National Occupational Classification (NOC)*.
- English Language Skills: You must be able to prove your proficiency in English language by taking up the IELTS test and achieving a minimum of CLB 7. For this you will get 4 points. However, betters results in IELTS can help you obtain a maximum of 6 points under the language skills factor. If you have French language knowledge, you can also score points for your French language skills.
- Arranged Employment: If you have a job offer in Canada before you apply for your PR visa, you can claim up to 10 points for this factor.
- Adaptability: If you have an adaptability to Canadian life, i.e. any past experience of living or studying in Canada, you can claim 10 points for your Canadian adaptability.
The Comprehensive Ranking Score System
This system helps you determine the ranking of your profile and its selection chances. This means that when your application is lodged, Canadian immigration department accepts it based on the ranking your profile holds. This ranking is known as the Comprehensive Ranking Score and is calculated as per the standards of the CRS points calculator.
Below is a brief of each factor that is taken into consideration:
- Core Human Capital Factors– age, education, work experience, language ability, adaptability etc.
- Accompanying Spouse Factors– skills, education, experience etc. of your accompanying spouse.
- Skills transferability Factors– soft skills interlinked with transferability factors.
- Additional Factors– relations in Canada, provincial nomination, valid job offer, French skills, international education or work experience.
*The National Occupational Classification (NOC) is a list of occupations that are high-in demand in Canada. This list divides itself into different levels of skills type. To apply for Canada PR card, you must first nominate or represent an occupation from Skill Type 0 (Managerial Occupations), Skill Level A (Professional Occupations), or Skill Level B (Technical Occupations and Skilled Trades).
What is the step-by-step procedure to apply for a Canada PR visa?
Applying for a Canada PR visa in general involves a standard and simple procedure. Here is the step-by-step process of the same:
How to apply for Canada PR visa from India?
To apply for a Canada PR visa from India, you first need to select a visa type from the Express Entry that is applicable to your eligibility factors. Express Entry manages four visa programmes and holds different criteria for various people.
- Federal Skilled Worker Visa: Visa programme for candidates with skills and ability to score points and migrate with or without job offer and nomination.
- Federal Trades Worker Visa: Visa programme for candidates who are skilled in a specific trade and meet the factors to migrate to Canada and work as a tradesperson.
- Canadian Experience Class: Visa programme for candidates who are either residing in Canada on a temporary visa or have any previous work experience from Canada.
- Provincial Nomination Program: Visa programme for candidates who have skills and talent most needed by Canadian provinces and have chances to receive nomination from them.
After choosing the programme accordingly, Indian citizens too need to follow the generalized step-by-step procedure mentioned above for applying for the Canada PR visa.
What are the documents required for Canadian PR?
To migrate to Canada from India, you will need:
- Education transcripts and employment letters
- Result of English Language Test (within mentioned validity)
- Education Credential Assessment Report
- Skills Assessment Report (in several cases where it is asked)
- Funds documents (bank statements proving financial stability)
- Police Clearance Certificate and Medical certificate
While this is a generalized list, a personalized list according to your profile can be claimed from our trusted immigration consultant before your visa process begins.
How much is Canada PR fee?
The entire process of Canada PR visa involves fee payments at various stages. The breakdown of it is as follows:
Fees for Educational Credential Assessment Fees ( to be paid to WES):
Fees for Final Visa Application:
Fees for Permanent Residency Rights:
CAD stands for Canadian Dollars -currency of Canada
Note: This does not include fee applicable to Kansas visa process services.
Info: PR visa is often referred as permanent resident visa, residence visa or residency visa.