eTA or Temporary resident visa- what do you need when travelling to Canada?

Posted by Admin on October 17, 2016

eTA or Temporary resident visa- what do you need when travelling to Canada?

With the introduction of an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), often visitors seem uncertain of what they need when they are traveling to Canada. For such, we have come up with precise information that will help visitors understand the differences between an eTA and a Temporary Resident visa (popularly known as visit visa).

What is an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)?

A recently introduced pre-screening system- the electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is Canada’s initiative to ease travel formalities for citizens of visa-exempt countries traveling to Canada.  Though the initiative of came into effect from March 2016, a leniency period of 7 months has been announced. This means that during this leniency period visa-exempt country citizens can travel to Canada without an eTA but must have a valid passport and supporting travel documents. Following September 2017, the leniency period shall end and all visa-exempt country citizen must have an eTA when boarding a flight to Canada for a temporary stay.   

How to obtain an eTA?                                          

Prior to their departure to Canada, all visa-exempt country citizens must fill an online form detailing about their personal information and answer a serious of questions related to their criminal history (if any) and medical status. With this, travelers also need – valid passport, credit card to pay the eTA and a valid email address. A fee of CAD $7.00 must be paid. Generally, the eTA will be granted within a couple of minutes after submitting the form, but in certain cases it may get delayed. Once you have obtained the eTA, it will be valid for a period of 5 years.

Who needs the eTA to travel to Canada?

The following are visa-exempt countries and the citizens of any of these countries travelling to Canada need an eTA:

BELGIUMFINLAND                ITALYMONACOSLOVAKIA                 


What about citizens not belonging to visa-exempt countries and travelling to Canada?

Citizens who are not of a visa-exempt country must obtain a temporary resident visa when planning to travel to Canada. This visa is issued by the Canadian immigration authorities reflecting that the traveler is eligible to enter into Canada as a temporary visitor. The temporary resident visa aids a traveler multiple entry, i.e. the visitor is permitted to travel in and out of Canada till the validity of the visa expires. Also, if the visitor has plans to extend his stay, he can also apply for extension while being in Canada.

Conditions associated to obtaining a Temporary Resident Visa

Firstly, as a visitor to Canada, you must be meet all the requirements associated to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. You must have a valid passport and supporting documents. With this, you must also provide evident information about your visit purpose to Canada and prove that you are willing to enter into Canada for a temporary stay.

Also you must conform to to the following conditions:

  • Not be risk to the security of Canada
  • Hold no record of criminal activity or not violate any law
  • Enter into Canada for visit, and not study or work
  • Have sufficient funds to manage your stay in Canada
  • Be of sound health
  • If necessary, provide additional documents on demand by the government authorities

Should you wish to know more information on Canada immigration, Ask our  immigration experts and they shall assist you with every aspect of your immigration process.

Review Date
Reviewed Item
I appreciate Mr. Suchindranath for spending enough time for successful completion of my PR Process.
Author Rating