New Changes to the Points System for Australia Skilled VisasPosted on April 12, 2019
According to the recent updates by the Australia Legislation Government, there are changes to the Points System for General Skilled Migration Visas. These changes will be in effect from 16th November 2019. However, these changes will also be applicable for the present Subclass 489 visa, Subclass 190 visa, Subclass 189 visa and the New Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Subclass 491 visa.
The changes made by the legislation for the Australia Point Calculation include:
- Points Increment for Education: For your Specialist Educational qualification you can obtain 10 points. The present test score provides only 5 points.
- Points Increment for Spouse Skills: If you have a skilled spouse or de facto partner, you can get 10 points. However, he/she should be under the age group of 45 and meet the requirements of language skills with occupation matching the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). Presently, candidates with this factor are receiving only 5 points.
- Latest changes for Spouse Adaptability: If you do not have a spouse or de facto partner/ having a spouse or de facto partner with either Australian citizenship or Australia permanent residency can obtain 10 points.
- Latest change for Spouse language proficiency: If your spouse or de facto partner is having competent language skills, then you can get 5 points.
- Points Increment for Nomination/Sponsorship: If you obtain either a nomination by a state/territory or sponsorship by a family member, then, you can receive 15 points. This factor is mainly for applicants belonging to Subclass 489 visa and Subclass 190 visa. Currently, applicants with this factor can get only 10 points.
There are even changes implemented for a few cases where all points except partner qualifications are equal. For such situations, the invitations will be ranked according to the below-mentioned order:
First: Applications with Skilled Spouse or de facto partner.
Equal First: Applications without a Spouse or de facto partner.
Second: Applications with a spouse or de facto partner with eligible language proficiency and ineligible skilled partner points.
Third: Applications with a spouse or de facto partner with ineligible language proficiency or skilled partner points.
For more information related to Australia Points System, you can speak to our immigration experts at Kansas® Overseas Careers.