Things you need to know about Canadian work permit
For most professionals planning to work in Canada, a valid passport along with a work permit are the essential aspects. A work permit is nothing but a permission from the Canadian authorities, stating that the country has approved your appeal to take up a job in that Canada. However, a work permit is a temporary permission and should you wish to live in Canada for a longer period of time, you apply for an extension or file an application for a Canada permanent residence status after before the expiry of your work permit.
Advantages of a Canada work permit:
- Your entry into the Canada is quick, informed and authorized
- You have specified your area of work and the time frame of your stay in the Canada to the Government authorities
- You land into Canada with a job offer already in hand
- You have recorded yourself with the safety department of Canada which keeps you risk-free during any incident investigation
- You can bring along your spouse and children to Canada if you have an open work permit in hand
- You can apply for a work permit as a student too
Disadvantages of a Canada work permit:
While a Canada work permit has its own advantages, the major downside of a Canada work permit is that it is temporary. After a period of 2 years, the applicant either has to apply for a visa extension or file for a separate permanent residence visa. Another drawback of the Canada work permit is that a Canada work permit is offered for a specific role you desire to take up in Canada. If you wish to change your designation or the employer you are working for in Canada offers you another position, you again have to apply for another work permit. That is why most experts recommend Canada Permanent Resident Visa instead of a work permit to settle in Canada.
Obtaining a Canada work permit:
The only condition associated to obtaining a work permit is that you must apply for a job in Canada first. Applying for work permit involves a two-fold process. Firstly, you have to apply for a relevant job in Canada. Once your profile has been accepted by the Canadian employer and he has determined you a suitable candidate for the role, he must get an approval from the Canadian government to hire a foreign worker. For this, he must apply for a document named Labour Market Impact Assessment which states that he needs a foreign worker to fill in the vacancy and prove that no Canadian worker is able to do the job. On receiving a positive LMIA, he can proceed with the offer formalities.
Once you have received a confirmed offer from the employer, you need to apply to the Canada Citizenship and Immigration department (CIC) for a work permit. This can be done online or via email. Once CIC receives your application, a formal interview may be conducted prior to approving or rejecting your application for a Canada work permit. Once the application is approved, you will be provided with the relevant documentation and allowed entry into Canada. However, the official work permit will be provided to you once you land into Canada.
Documents required to obtain a work permit:
To apply for a work permit, you need to mandatorily have the following documents:
- Contract of employment or a basic letter from the Canadian employer stating your job description- role, working conditions and wages
- Evident documents that you fulfil the requirements of the Canadian job- qualification certificates, skills certificate, work experience certificate, etc.
- Labor Market Opinion or Labor Market Impact Assessment obtained from your employer
- Valid passport with one blank page other than its last page
- Evident documents reflecting your fee payment confirmation in acceptable format
- Proof that you are holding sufficient funds to move to Canada for work and manage your stay
- Original Police clearance certificate (can be obtained from the police station of your residential area)
- Medical certificate proving that you are of sound health and can take up the journey
- Additional document
Remember, if you intend to work in the province of Quebec you need to obtain a Certificate the Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) from the Quebec Government as Quebec follows its own rules of immigration.
Should you wish to know more information on Canadian immigration, connect to the immigration experts and they shall assist you with every aspect of your immigration process.